rnrn

Coal Diver Everything you wanted to know about coal, but were afraid to ask.

National-->Interior-->Eastern Interior-->-FRIENDSVILLE-MINE

Friendsville Mine

Search for records on this mine at the Mine Safety and Health Administration website
  • Summary
  • Search for records on this mine at the Mine Safety and Health Administration website

    Citations, Orders, and Safeguards
    Citations, Orders, and Safeguards
    Please Note: Friendsville Mine LLC has been the current operator since 5/11/2005

    Year 104(a) Proposed
    Penalties ($)
    Current Penalties ($) Amount Paid
    To Date ($)
    1995 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    1996 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    1997 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    1998 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    1999 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    2000 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    2001 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    2002 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    2003 19 1,274.00 1,274.00 1,274.00
    2004 4 704.00 704.00 704.00
    2005 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    2006 2 151.00 151.00 151.00
    2007 22 2,727.00 2,727.00 2,727.00
    2008 2 2,415.00 2,415.00 2,415.00
    2009 5 2,777.00 2,777.00 1,120.00
    2010 0 0.00 0.00 0.00
    Note: Vacated Citations are not included in any reports on the DRS.

    Injuries, Hours Worked, and Production Totals
    Injuries, Hours Worked, and Production Totals
    Please Note: Friendsville Mine LLC has been the current operator since 5/11/2005

    Year Fatal Operator
    Injuries
    NFDL Operator
    Injuries
    Fatal Contractor
    Injuries
    NFDL Contractor
    Injuries
    Operator Hours
    Worked*
    Coal
     Produced 
    (tons)
    Operator Fatal
    Incidence Rate**
    Operator NFDL
    Incidence Rate**
    Mine Type
    National Fatal
    Incidence Rate**
    Mine Type
    National NFDL
    Incidence Rate**
    1995 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0232 2.71
    1996 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0082 2.33
    1997 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0111 2.37
    1998 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0057 2.25
    1999 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0309 2.07
    2000 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0233 2.24
    2001 0 0 0 0 0 0 n/a n/a 0.0090 2.13
    2002 0 0 0 0 10,312 7,591 0.00 0.00 0.0180 2.29
    2003 0 1 0 0 87,166 333,263 0.00 2.29 0.0290 1.94
    2004 0 0 0 0 19,189 95,705 0.00 0.00 0.0121 1.76
    2005 0 0 0 0 7,544 16,863 0.00 0.00 0.0028 1.49
    2006 0 1 0 0 107,226 339,349 0.00 1.87 0.0189 1.35
    2007 0 0 0 0 150,150 937,824 0.00 0.00 0.0194 1.38
    2008 0 1 0 0 152,981 1,037,125 0.00 1.31 0.0102 1.25
    2009 0 0 0 0 143,631 977,582 0.00 0.00 0.0107 1.23
    2010 0 0 0 0 34,582 271,898 - - - -
    *   Hours worked and accidents & injuries now include office hours or accidents (subunit 99).
    ** Current rates are based on data available as of 2009 Quarter 4. For a further explanation, please see this.
  • MSHA Data


  • 2009 Sales to Power Plants

    NameControllerOperatorLocationTons Purchased
    WarrickAlcoa IncAlcoa USWarrick County, IN823587
    MeromHoosier Energy R E C IncHoosier Energy R E C IncSullivan County, IN10003
  • Production
  • Alcoa says developing new coal mine in southern Indiana

    April 11, 2011

    Alcoa has announced that it is developing a new coal mine in southern Indiana with the hopes of controlling costs at its Warrick Operations smelting plants along the Ohio River. Because of $500M of recent improvements at their 755MW power plant at Warrick, they are able to burn coal with a much higher sulphur content than coals from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming. Currently, the top source of coal for the plant is Alcoa-controlled Friendsville Mine which provides about 40% of the smelter’s coal. Alcoa hopes that the new mine could provide the other 60% so that it would be burning coal produced exclusively by the company’s own mines.

    Read article http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/Coal/3394549

  • News